The Ferguson Building
The Ferguson Building is one of the many complex building projects undertaken in recent years in order to improve and expand the facilities available to the staff, students and the wider community of Bishop’s Stortford.
It houses a large lecture theatre, one of the Senior School ICT labs and the Sixth Form Social Centre.
Built on the site of the former Indoor Swimming Pool, this project would not have been possible without the substantial gift made from the Allan and Nesta Ferguson Charitable Trust, which was set up in memory of Professor John Ferguson’s parents. We hope that John Ferguson would approve not only of the building that bears his name, but also the manner in which it is being used to further educate, instruct and stimulate the students of the College and people from his home town through the Ferguson Lectures.
The Ferguson Lecture Theatre is available for use by local community groups. For details, please go to Hiring College facilities.
About Professor John Ferguson
John Ferguson [1921-1989] was educated at Bishop's Stortford College and his enormous energy for life was very much in evidence during his time as a pupil (1929-1939).
Much of John Ferguson’s adult life was dedicated to education and the promotion of international peace, friendship and understanding. To commemorate his long association with academic institutions, The Ferguson Centre for African and Asian Studies was opened at the Open University, and the John Ferguson Chair was endowed at the University of Bradford in the Department of Peace Studies. John Ferguson also chaired the enquiry in the 1980s into the controversial sinking of the Argentine warship, the General Belgrano.