The Memorial Hall, our most distinctive building, was designed in Georgian Colonial style by architect Clough Williams-Ellis who was known chiefly as creator of the Italianate village of Portmeirion in North Wales.
The Memorial Hall was erected in 1922 to commemorate the 62 pupils who had lost their lives in the First World War. A second Roll of Honour was added in 1949, inscribed with the names of a further 154 former students who lost their lives in World War II.
Today, it is used on a daily basis for assemblies, concerts and special events.
The pictures below are of the Memorial Hall Doors; the first was taken in 1922 at the opening ceremony for the Memorial Hall. The man at the left of the doors was Clough Williams-Ellis (the architect). In the centre is Sir Arthur Thomas Quiller-Couch, Prof of English Literature at Cambridge, who edited the Oxford Book of English Verse, as well as being a prolific writer. The man with top hat in hand, Sir A T Davies, was chairman of the Memorial Hall fund raising committee. During the summer break 2012, a local craftsman repaired the doors; many of the palm leaves on the side doors had snapped off and Ernest Knight's name was indecipherable. The picture on the right shows the doors as they are now in all their glory.