Through to National Team Maths Challenge Final
A team of four pupils from Bishop’s Stortford College will be competing against teams from across the United Kingdom for this year’s UK Team Maths Challenge trophy.
Year 9 pupils Victoria Farrant and Daniel Hood, together with Year 8 pupils Martin Brett and Johnnie Crump, were runners up in the Regional Final held in Cambridge and won the opportunity to compete in the National Final at the Royal Horticultural Halls in London on Monday 18th June 2012. 1,500 schools entered the competition and 80 have qualified to take part in the Final.
The National Final of the Team Maths Challenge, which is run by the UK Mathematics Trust, involves teams of four pupils from years 8 and 9 (England), years 9 and 10 (Northern Ireland) and years S1 and S2 (Scotland), competing in:
- A group circus involving practical maths problems;
- A relay race combining physical and mental agility;
- A crossnumber (mathematical crossword);
- A series of head-to-head mini relay races; and
- A poster competition based on a mathematical subject.